¡Hola! I’m Mia, a 15 year old girl who adores baking and food photography. On Chomps of Life, I plan on documenting my culinary creations by posting recipes along with photos. I hope you’ll follow me, and stick around for the heaps of yummy recipes that are sure to result.
For now, let me introduce you to a delicious recipe for red velvet cupcakes. The traditional cream cheese frosting is improved with the addition of vanilla bean paste, making these a truly delightful treat
Red Velvet Cupcakes
adapted from here
- 2 ½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 oz. red food coloring
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Whip the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Next add the vanilla and red food coloring.
- Alternate between adding the 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 the buttermilk.
- In a small ramekin, whisk together the baking soda and vinegar. Add to the batter, and quickly whisk in.
- Fill cupcake lines 2/3 full and bake at 350 for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick does not draw crumbs.
Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese frosting (not whipped!), at room temp
- ¼ cup butter, at room temp
- 1 ¼ cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste (or ½ the seeds of a vanilla bean)
- 2-4 tbs heavy whipping cream (2 tbs makes a denser frosting, four adds a more fluffy quality)
Cream the butter and cream cheese together for about five minutes.
Sift the powder sugar into the creamed mixture and beat together for two minutes.
Add the vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste and mix until combined.
Pour in the heavy whipping cream and whip for one minute, or until fluffy. Be careful not to over whip or the mixture could curdle.
Frost any cake you desire, and enjoy! 🙂